Government Consultations and Letters
OLA regularly participates in government consultations to ensure that libraries maintain a voice in key provincial discussions. Members and supporters are encouraged to reuse content in our letters as they see fit.
For more information, email Shelagh Paterson, Executive Director
- November 2020- Written Submission to the Library and Archives Canada Roundtable (English and French)
- August 2020 – Written Submission to the Ministry of Infrastructure consultations with the Standing Committee of Economic and Finance
- September 2020 – Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs Report, including reflection of OLA and FOPL’s submissions
- July 31, 2020 – Open Letter to Ministry of Education and Ontario School Board Associations – School Library Staff: Essential to Supporting Students Adapt and Succeed in the Unprecedented 2020-21 School Year
- July 15, 2020 – Letter to Ontario Directors of Education and School Board Trustee Chairs in English and in French
- June 25, 2020 – Participation in Culture and Heritage consultation with the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs
- May 17, 2020 – OLA and FOPL E-mail to the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries regarding public libraries and COVID-19 Pandemic
- Mar 25, 2020 – Letter to the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Cultural Industries and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing – Regarding municipal impacts on public libraries during Covid-19
- March 2020 – OLA & FOPL joint submission to the 2020 Ontario Poverty Reduction Strategy
- February 2020 – Investing in Broadband Access through Ontario’s Public Libraries
- January 2020- OSLA Submission to the Grants for Student Needs Consultation
- Nov 21, 2019 – OSLA’s Open Letter re: Enhancing Accountability and Transparency to Protect Ontario’s School Libraries
- November 2019 – FOPL’s submission re: Bill 132
- August 2019 – OLA /FOPL submission to Bill 108 Municipal Review
- OLA letter in response to Bill 108 (March 2020)
- December 2018- OSLA Submission to the 2019-20 Grants for Student Needs Consultation
- Jan 15, 2018 – OCULA’s Letter in Support for Jill Baker – Librarian at Saint Lawrence College
- Jan 15, 2018 – OLA’s Response to Ontario’s Middle Years Strategy
- Dec 13, 2017 – OLA Indigenous Libraries Task Group Response to Ontario First Nation Public Libraries: Needs Assessment Report
- Nov 8, 2016 – Letter to Minister McMahon requesting provincial support for accessible library services
- Aug 24, 2016 – Letter to Minister McMahon on reducing broadband funding for public libraries (Connectivity Fund)
- May 4, 2016 – Letter to Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- July 24, 2015 – OLA response to the Municipal Legislation Review, 2015
- June 2, 2015 – FOPL and OLA letter to Karen Pitre, Special Advisor to the Premier on Community Hubs, on the provincial barriers to successful community hubs.
- April 21, 2014 – Appointment of Librarian and Archivist of Canada announced
- May 23, 2013 – OLA’s letter to The Hon. James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage
- June 8, 2012 – OLA Motion in support of a National Network for Equitable Library Service for Canadians with a print disability
- May 28, 2012 – Letter to Minister Moore Regarding Funding Cuts to Library and Archives Canada
- April 11, 2012 – Termination of Industry Canada’s Community Access Program (CAP)
- March 18, 2011 – OLA’s letter to the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario Regarding Proposed Regulation
- July 29, 2010 – A letter to The Minister of Industry, the Honorable Tony Clement
- July 8, 2010 – OLA’s submission to The Government of Canada’s Digital Advantage consultation paper
Past Government Consultations and Letters
- Culture Strategy Funding Review Discussion Paper (2017) by FOPL, OLA, CULC, and ARUPLO, in consultation with SOLS and OSL-N. This paper moves towards improving the effectiveness of public libraries in the context of the new Ontario Culture Strategy.
- OLA Response to draft Culture Strategy (May 2016). OLA and its partners participated in dialogue around the strategy, and the role of public libraries in supporting our culture.
- FOPL and OLA joint Response to Ontario Culture Strategy (December 2015)
This session was a facilitated discussion about common themes and interests between Ontario provincial ministries and public libraries. Objectives included informing staff in key ministries about existing and potential partnership opportunities and providing information about government goals, policies, and programs to consider how public libraries and ministries can work together.
- Economic Development (Video)
Sharing knowledge and communicating ideas at the library. Develop your skills, create, and become an entrepreneur. Libraries are helping to drive innovation in communities.
- Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs: Aboriginal Economic Development Supports (Presentation)
- Ministry of Research and Innovation and the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment (Presentation)
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Ministry of Rural Affairs (Presentation)
- Building Strong Communities (video)
The library can be a welcoming and socially inclusive place for families. Examples: a place to get referrals to other community services, a place for specialists to visit with families (nutritionists, early childhood education, etc.), a place for young parents and their children. The library can offer a multitude of services for people new to Canada.
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Health Promotion Priorities: Building Healthy Communities (Presentation)
- Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) (Presentation)
- Lifelong Learning and Literacy (Video)
Programs for babies, pre-school children, and youth in the library and with community partners. Children can even read a story to a non-judgmental dog! The library provides services for people who have disabilities, job seekers, and those looking to upgrade their skills and education.
- Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities: Strategic Policy and Programs Division (Presentation)
- Early Years Division, Ministry of Education (PDF)
- Partnership Ideas and Opportunities from the Roundtable (discussions)