Monday, November 30, 2020, 12-1:30 pm EST
OnLibChat: Equity, Inclusion and Diversity in Academic Libraries: An Open Dialogue
Date & Time
Monday, November 30, 2020 from 12pm – 1:30pm EST
OCULA Council is in the process of forming an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Committee and is interested in hearing directly from its members, and the academic library community at large (including students), as it begins to shape its work and future directions.
In our statement & action against anti-black racism, OCULA expressed its commitment to take tangible actions toward dismantling those systems and structures that unjustly favour some and overtly discriminate against and harm others.
Before OCULA’s EDI Committee begins its work, we both want and need to hear from you: the academic library community. We want to create a space where we can come together, to hear and to listen to one another’s diverse experiences and perspectives on all things EDI, work towards becoming an ally, and to take what we learn through such an open dialogue to help us determine what work is most crucial for the Committee to undertake now and in the future.
This session follows the November 23 discussion with BIPOC library workers on their experiences within academic libraries.
Some questions to consider:
- What EDI work has not yet been undertaken (in our profession, in academic libraries more generally) and that needs to begin in haste?
- What can you do, on an individual, team, organizational, or community level to move the needle in academic libraries in terms of equity, diversity, and inclusion?
- How do academic library workers become better allies?
- What work would you most like to see OCULA’s EDI Committee undertake in its first weeks, months, years?
- How can you, or would you like to become involved?
How to Join
You can join either by computer or using your phone. If your internet connection is uneven, we recommend calling in by phone for your audio connection in addition to via computer for video. We will be using Zoom.
Please register here to receive the connection instructions: https://forms.gle/Jp1ArfDyER6y1N5F8