Ontario Public Library Association (OPLA) PLA Conference Grant
A grant provided by OPLA of up to $3,000 is available to subsidize the cost of one individual to attend to the Public Library Association Conference that is held biennially in the United States. The grant will be awarded by a random draw of qualified nominees submitted to OLA/OPLA by November 15th every 2 years.
To promote membership in the OPLA
To gain a more global perspective on public library issues and programs
Applications for 2022 will be accepted in November of 2021
The Public Library Association (PLA) Conference provides an excellent opportunity for those who work in public libraries to learn by attending education sessions and to share experiences by networking with peers. The PLA Conference is considered the premier professional development event for public librarians, public library workers, library vendors, and others with an interest in public libraries.
Eligible Expenses covered by the grant:
Transportation costs to and within the conference’s host city, up to 5 nights accommodation, full conference registration, and meals (max. $50 per day for meals). The recipient must submit receipts for all eligible expenses. The grant will cover eligible expenses to a maximum of $3,000 CND. Travel and accommodation arrangements must be approved by the OPLA in advance of booking. Bookings may be made by OLA staff by request of the grant recipient. Travel arrangements made by OLA will be expensed to grant funds. Receipts for approved travel arrangements made by the recipient will need to be submitted for reimbursement.
The applicant must:
- be employed by a public library in Ontario
- hold a current membership with the Ontario Public Library Association (OPLA)
- agree to report back to the Ontario Public Library Association about his/her conference experience. This may include daily conference reporting and a post-conference article for publication in Ho-OPLA.
- not be a past recipient of the PLA Conference Grant.
- have a valid passport and be eligible to travel to the United States.
The recipient will be responsible for the following expenses:
- transportation to and from the recipient’s home and the airport;
- any personal or incidental expenses;
- any expenses in excess of the $3,000 CND grant amount.
The applicant’s submission package should include:
- a cover letter from the nominee confirming the application and willingness to assume the expenses described above;
- a letter of nomination from the employer confirming support of conference attendance
Each OPLA Councillor will, at random, draw one name from nominations submitted in their region. The grant recipient will then be selected by a random draw of names submitted from all regions.
Kristen Caschera – 2020 – Read about Kristen’s conference experience
Portia Dodds – 2018 – Read about Portia’s conference experience
Susan Cameron – 2016 – Read about Susan’s conference experience
Marie Belanger – 2014 – Read about Marie’s conference experience
Justine Gerrior – 2012 – Read about Justine’s conference experience
Miranda Huska – 2010 – Read about Miranda’s conference experience