OLA Pre-Budget Submissions
Updated Advocacy Priorities (Sept 2023)
OLA & FOPL have created a new advocacy priorities document to guide our government relations work. While this document may look familiar, there are two main changes to note:
- Our ask regarding the Provincial Libraries Operating Grant (PLOG) has changed. We are now asking for an increase to the PLOG of an additional $25 million annually on top of the existing $21 million grant. The additional $25 million would restore the PLOG to a present-day value, addressing the impact of inflation, rising costs of living and other pressures accumulated over more than 25 years. We have framed this new ask to address shared critical areas of both the library community’s and province’s priorities.
- Language pertaining to the Ontario Digital Public Library (ODPL) ask has also changed. We are now asking for a projected cost of $10 – $20 million to demonstrate various levels of investment. An ODPL Briefing Note has been prepared by the FOPL board for further context.
Read OLA and FOPL’s Advocacy Priorities (Sept 2023)
Read ODPL Briefing Note (Sept 2023)
2023 Ontario Pre-Budget Submission
Working alongside our partners at the Federation of Ontario Public Libraries (FOPL), OLA is continuing advocacy for Ontario’s libraries.
Our 2023 Budget Recommendations are:
- Maintain critical provincial funding for Ontario’s public libraries at current levels and work with municipalities and the Federal government to prevent unsustainable cuts to public library funding.
- Working alongside First Nations Public Library leaders, rapidly implement a sustainable funding model for public libraries on reserve to ensure that these important local hubs are fully-funded and viable. This includes enhancing the existing direct provincial funding support for public libraries on reserve to sustainably fund library operations and ensure a living income for frontline library staff in these communities.
- Provide critical e-learning support and fair access to modern, digital resources for all Ontario public libraries through the creation of an Ontario Digital Public Library, thereby leveraging the province’s significant purchasing power to give all Ontarians access to a common core of high-quality e-learning & online resources and more e-books.
Past OLA Pre-Budget Submissions
January 2020 – OLA & FOPL Pre-Budget Submission 2020
January 2020 – OSLA Pre-Budget Submission Letter
About the Budget Process
Bookmark this page for information on new budget announcements. Current OLA members will receive updates on budget announcements in their inbox.
Understanding Ontario’s provincial budget: Ontario’s provincial budget is is typically released annually in April. The government’s financial cycle ends March 31 and restarts on April 1. For more information and to see the current provincial budget, visit the Ontario government website.
Understanding Canada’s federal budget: Federal budgets have a lesser impact on Ontario’s libraries, and are presented annually in February or March. For more information, visit the Canadian government website.