Public Library Issues
Public libraries are consistently ranked within the top 3 services a community values most. Yet their value and complexity of relevant services are not always understood. Included in this section are backgrounders, briefs, and resources to support awareness and development of public library services and issues.
How are Ontario’s public libraries evolving to meet a changing society and a digital age? Check out The Agenda’s spotlight on public libraries: “Ontario Hubs: Our Changing Libraries”
OLA's Recommendations for Public Library Funding
The Ontario Library Association, with the Federation of Ontario Public Libraries (FOPL) submit recommendations as part of Ontario’s Annual Pre-Budget consultation process.
- You can read the latest Library Pre-Budget Submissions here.
- For up to date information on all OLA’s government relations efforts, visit the Government Consultations and Letters page of this website.
Personalizable Public Library Advocacy Resources
Looking for a quick, easy and editable advocacy resources for your public library? We’ve got you covered. Use our template on Canva to create your own Value of Public Libraries Postcard. Use our template on Canva to create your own Value of Public Libraries Postcard.
Advocacy Resources and Information Briefs
- Public Libraries Brief (English – 2019)
- Equitable Access for People who Have a Print Disability (Updated 2016)
- E-resources (Updated 2019)
- First Nation Public Libraries Fact Sheet (Updated 2016)
- Indigenous Matters (Updated 2020)
- Newcomers to Canada and Public Libraries (Updated 2018)
- Opioids, Naloxone and your local Public Libraries (Updated 2018)
- Public Libraries and the Self Service Model (Updated 2017)
- Rural Public Libraries Brief (Updated 2014)