School Library Research
Ontario School Library Impact Project (April 2021)
Initiated in 2018, the purpose of the Ontario School Library Impact Project was to conduct a research study that investigates the impact of secondary school libraries on the development of key information literacy skills in students entering post-secondary education.
Survey on Ontario School Libraries – 2020-21 School Year (November 2020)
As school boards across the province began to release plans for the2020-21 school year, many decided to drastically reduce or eliminate their school library staffing,and limit or end access to school library materials. This survey was used to track the scope and scale of staffing reductions across the province
School Library Response to COVID-19 (April 2020)
In March 2020, schools across the province moved overnight to virtual learning. This slide-deck highlights how school libraries are supporting teachers and students with remote learning, even while their physical doors were closed.
Exemplary School Libraries in Ontario (2006) People for Education and Queen’s University. Ontario Library Association.
A Study by Queen’s University and People For Education. Published by the Ontario Library Association.
This project identifies characteristics of an exemplary elementary school library that supports educational outcomes of the school.
School Libraries and Student Achievement in Ontario (2006) Ontario Library Association, People for Education & Queen’s University Faculty of Education.
A Study by Queen’s University and People for Education. Published by the Ontario Library Association
An analysis of the the relationship between student achievement and library resources and staff.
- Canadian School Libraries Research archive. Canadian School Libraries (CSL).
- Treasure Mountain Canada.
- School Library Impact Studies and Statistics. Library Research Services (American)
- Connecting British Columbia (Canada) School Libraries and Student Achievement: A Comparison of Higher and Lower Performing Schools with Similar Overall Funding (2011). Ken Haycock in School Libraries Worldwide.
- Advocacy and the 21st Century School Librarian: Challenges and Best practices (2017). EBSCO.
- Building success beyond high school with career- and college-ready literacies (2016). Carolyn Foote in Knowledge Quest.
- Creating a Unique Brand for Your School Library: Values, Vision, Voice, and Visuals: Increasing your library’s visibility as a form of advocacy. (2017). Barker, K . Young in Adult Library Services. (Available to OLA Members through Wilson Web).
- Foote, C. (2016). Building success beyond high school with career- and college-ready literacies. Knowledge Quest 44(5).
People for Education is an independent organization working to support public education in Ontario’s English, Catholic and French schools. They conduct an annual survey of schools that includes tracking information about school libraries.
Connecting to success: Technology in Ontario Schools – People for Education – 2019
This report, based on the results from People for Education’s Annual Ontario School Survey, looks at the use of technology in today’s schools, including BYOD policies, e-learning, access to technology, and the role of school libraries.
The state of school libraries – People for Education:
- State of School Libraries: 2017
- State of School Libraries: 2016
- State of School Libraries: 2015 (see page 10)
- State of School Libraries: 2013 (see page 5)
Libraries and teacher-librarians affect students’ enjoyment of reading. This information brief looks at the correlation between the decline of reading enjoyment and the decline of teacher-librarians in schools.