External Funding Opportunities
Library and Information Sciences Scholarships and Funding Opportunities
Non-OLA Grants for Libraries:
The Aboriginal Languages Initiative (ALI) supports the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages through community-based projects and activities. Expected results include the following:
- Indigenous people have access to community-based programs and activities that contribute to the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages and cultures;
- Indigenous communities are assisted in their efforts to enhance languages and cultures; and
- Indigenous languages and cultures are preserved and enhanced as living cultures.
The Department of Canadian Heritage recognizes that initiatives that aim to preserve and revitalize Indigenous languages must be flexible and responsive to the broad range of community needs, goals and priorities.
Applications deadline: December 5th. When an application deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or statutory holiday, it is extended to the following working day.
Sponsorship for summer job programs in Heritage Organization
Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage
The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) is a cost-shared infrastructure funding program between the federal government, provinces and territories, and municipalities and other recipients. This program will see up to $30 billion in combined federal, provincial and other partner funding, under four priority areas, including Community, Culture and Recreation. The Community, Culture and Recreation stream will support community infrastructure priorities across the province, improving access to and / or quality of community, cultural, and recreation priority infrastructure projects. Municipalities and First Nations are eligible to apply for funding for cultural facilities including libraries.
The Law Foundation of Ontario makes grants to advance access to justice. Grants are made to nonprofit organizations that work to benefit the people of Ontario. We also have a unique fund that provides grants to nonprofit organizations across Canada.
Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Various Grants to support Arts and Culture
Public Library Operating (PLOG) Grant // Public Library Pay Equality (PE) Grant // First Nation Salary Supplement (FNSS) Grant
Library operating grants are statutory under the Public Libraries Act. Library operating funding goes to:
- Public Library Boards and First Nations public libraries; and
- Municipalities, Local Service Boards or First Nations that establish a contract for library service with a neighbouring public library board
For more information on grants that may be available, please consult:
- Grants for First Nation Public Libraries. List Compiled by OLS-N
- Transfer Payments Ontario: for grants provided by a number of Government of Ontario ministries.
- Charity Village for comprehensive guide of government funding programs.
- Check bank web sites
- Check your community-based supports: Lions Club, Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, Chamber of Commerce.
Do you know of a funding opportunity to support libraries? Please contact Sarah Roberts, Advocacy & Research Officer, OLA to tell us about it.
Last updated December 2019*